Solved: Game crashing when trying to enter Capital Square

I’m writing this in case someone else has encountered an issue I ran into, and how I solved it.

Background
After playing for some 180 hours I finished the Vordakai Tomb. Upon returning to my capital whenever I tried to enter the square I would get booted to the main menu and it told me the following error message:

Error: After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: K. Path ‘m_EntityData[27].Descriptor.Progression.m_Selections[2].Value.m_SelectionsByLevel[0].Value[0]’, line 1, position 117211. at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParsePostValue () [0x001ba] in <4f213745d60e425fb763df319c826ddf>:0

I really like the game, and I wanted to finish it. So here is what I did to solve my issue.

Solution
The error complains about invalid JSON, would probably be something that has been written erroneous into the save file?

1. Made a new Quick Save
  2. Located the savefile in %systemdrive%\users%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Saved Games
  3. Assumed it was a ZIP-Archive, so used WinRAR to unpack it.

Apparently ~254 MB worth of JSON. I didn’t want to look through all those files manually, so created a script:

$ ./find-the-brokenfile.sh
./0eed7a8820af0c549a7eee0a6bd1feb9capitalsquare_tieflingtwins_floor2_mechanic.json is invalid

1. Opened the file in VSCode, saw that it had some red squiggly lines at the end.

2. Found that there was a broken entry (["7ab8947ce2e19c44a9edcf5fd1466686b]) that cause the rest of the JSON file to be corrupt (it was easier to find by pressing (alt+shift+f that will attempt to format the file).

3. Simply added a " to the end of the hash ([“7ab8947ce2e19c44a9edcf5fd1466686b”]), saved the file and replaced it with the previous .json file within the ZIP-Archive.

4. Started up the game, and now I can continue with my adventures.

1 Like

Dude, I am getting a similar issue when I try to enter the Trade post at the beginning of the game. Can you give me an idea of what the hell is wrong? I’m not as proficient as you are in coding and such. But I can open the files and fix the issue, but have no idea how to find it…
See the message I get: