Solved: Game crashing when trying to enter Capital Square

I’m writing this in case someone else has encountered an issue I ran into, and how I solved it.

Background
After playing for some 180 hours I finished the Vordakai Tomb. Upon returning to my capital whenever I tried to enter the square I would get booted to the main menu and it told me the following error message:

Error: After parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered: K. Path ‘m_EntityData[27].Descriptor.Progression.m_Selections[2].Value.m_SelectionsByLevel[0].Value[0]’, line 1, position 117211. at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonTextReader.ParsePostValue () [0x001ba] in <4f213745d60e425fb763df319c826ddf>:0

I really like the game, and I wanted to finish it. So here is what I did to solve my issue.

Solution
The error complains about invalid JSON, would probably be something that has been written erroneous into the save file?

1. Made a new Quick Save
  2. Located the savefile in %systemdrive%\users%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Saved Games
  3. Assumed it was a ZIP-Archive, so used WinRAR to unpack it.

Apparently ~254 MB worth of JSON. I didn’t want to look through all those files manually, so created a script:

$ ./find-the-brokenfile.sh
./0eed7a8820af0c549a7eee0a6bd1feb9capitalsquare_tieflingtwins_floor2_mechanic.json is invalid

1. Opened the file in VSCode, saw that it had some red squiggly lines at the end.

2. Found that there was a broken entry (["7ab8947ce2e19c44a9edcf5fd1466686b]) that cause the rest of the JSON file to be corrupt (it was easier to find by pressing (alt+shift+f that will attempt to format the file).

3. Simply added a " to the end of the hash ([“7ab8947ce2e19c44a9edcf5fd1466686b”]), saved the file and replaced it with the previous .json file within the ZIP-Archive.

4. Started up the game, and now I can continue with my adventures.

1 Like