Be the first and do it right.
- Add romance related quests
- No fade in black climaxes that end everything romance related after that. (Bioware romance)
- No dialogue choices that fail the romance 20 hours down the road. Or at least add a chance to right the wrong. (Pathfinder Kingmaker)
- No lazy ending slides that do not mention anything about the romance. (Fallout)
- No theme park romance (Fallout)
- Make romance optional
- Add jealous character who wants you no matter what
Others can point out more things that make romance in video game feel like a flat pancake.