Mac version won't launch at all

(Bought from GOG Games).

On both of my Macs (one is a year old running 11.5.2 (Big Sur) the other is a 2016 vintage, running 12.0.1 (Monterey) the game won’t launch. It goes through the usual Paizo/Owlcat screens and then gets on to the main loading screen.
The progress bar goes to about 60% and then stays there until I kill the process (I left it for an hour at one point).

This has only happened since the last game update from GOG. Forcing the graphics subsystem to use the higher-spec hardware made no difference at all.

I can’t submit a bug report because it never gets far enough to allow me to get one.

2 Likes

Same here.

Steam not GOG for me, and mine’s a 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro. Otherwise it’s the same and I also can’t report it. It would sure be nice if there was some indication that anyone at Owlcat read the reports here.

I took a break from the game a month ago because I was getting tired of all the bugs and figured I’d wait for a couple of major updates and go back when it was more stable. So I can’t say for sure when the problem started for me.

I’m having the same issue as well. The game started up just fine until recent update(s). Hangs on startup with the progress bar at around 60%. Even left it sitting for over an hour yesterday just to see if it would eventually fire up, but no luck. Also no way to send a bug report since it won’t even start up.

Running on a 2019 27" iMac. Still on Catalina 10.15.7

Maybe I should try updating to the current OS??? Though posts above seem to indicate it happens no matter what you’re running.

Upgrading to Big Sur or Monterey won’t make any difference :frowning:

Please Owlcat, please fix this issue. The game does not load at all on any of my Macs.

Please confirm you know that this issue exists and that you are working on a fix.

This is actually getting a bit ridiculous. I love this game and I’m thankful for the work that went into it from a small team, but I’ve gone from having a game that was hard to play because of all the bugs, to a game that does not load at all.

Steam won’t give me a refund because I was able to play the game before the last patch broke it. They claim that I’ve played the game now, so I am not eligible for a refund of the game I paid for and now cannot play.

I like this publisher’s work, but I don’t think I will buy another game from them for a long time. This has been a really bad experience. A pity, because the game itself is amazing and everything I ever wanted to play on a computer.

I found a way to launch the game again:

I copied the folders Portraits, Saved Games, Screenshots in

~/Library/Application Support/unity.Owlcat Games.Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous

to

~/Library/Application Support/Owlcat Games/Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous

and the game worked again. However I had to set all option in the Options menue again.

I was looking for something completely different in my Library folder and stumbled over two different WOTR folders, noted the absence of the Saved Games in the new one and simply tried to copy the files.

I hope this works for my fellow Mac users.

2 Likes

This worked for me for actually getting it to start. Other bugs still around, but the thing will actually launch.

Worked for me too - I’d tried it before but just with saved games… which didn’t work.

Hi. Thanks for this. Good to know there is a work around.

I feel silly, but I cannot see the files you speak of in ~/Lib… etc. Can I ask, do you have the steam version? I’m wondering why I can’t see these files and maybe it’s because of steam?

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you.

In order to get the the Library directory (it’s a hidden directory) you need to (in Finder) click on the Go menu, select “Go to Folder” and, in the box that pops up type in “~/Library” and hit enter.

That’ll show you your hidden Library directory and you should be able to see the directories mentioned above.

1 Like

I use the GOG version, so I do not know for sure if the Steam version has the same directory structure in the Library folder.

Comparing with other Steam games I have, it seems that there should not be a difference. Maybe another Mac user can confirm or falsify this.

If the issue is that you cannot find the Library folder, just follow the valuable advice from launcap in this thread. Then you should find the files.

I can confirm this workaround works for me.

This might be a silly obvious check, but are you looking in Macintosh HD Library or your User directory Library? Not meaning to be patronising, but it’s the kind of thing I can imagine I could mix up.

I got it to work also. It is not the system library but the user library. You can access the library by holding the option key and clicking on go menu. Option shows hidden files and folders.