[Mac] Black Screen on game launch with visible cursor and music

Just bought Wrath of the Righteous from Steam and tried running it, no mods installed, the cursor displays normally and there’s music playing on the background, the menu is not interactable through the black screen.

I’m running the game on a mid-2011 iMac that meets the required system specs and runs Pathfinder Kingmaker smoothly.

macOSHigh Sierra (10.13.6);
2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5;
12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory;
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB Graphics Card;
Plenty available storage space.

4 Likes

I’m having the same problem. Bought on steam.

mid-2011 iMac
Mac os Sierra 10.12.6
207 GHz Intel Core i5
12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Same Problem here mac os sierra 10.12.6 2,7 ghz intel core i5 8 gb ddr3 amd radeon HD 6770M 512 mb. Seems like a lot of the sierra and high sierra os cant launch it properly might have to do with forced fullscreen but thats just my uneducated guess.

Also on Mac, when I enter the Command Tent or Field Medic Tent in the hub at the start of act 2 after some fitful loading it resolves into a black screen with visible cursor and music. Unable to progress game.

OS 10.15.5, Catalina

1 Like

It wasn’t black on load for me, but I’ve hit three times (maze, tavern basement, and Thieflings place), where it loads a black screen (cursor/sound work). In all three cases, I was able to blindly move my characters around the room until it eventually drew the screen properly. I’m on a newer Mac with latest macOS.

Same problem here. In the beginning of act 2 when I enter commander tent everything goes pitch black and the mouse cursor is only thing on the screen. I think it’s not only Sierra or high Sierra issue cause I have BigSur and the problem is same.

1 Like

Wait till you get to the commander tent after Kenebris it ends there everything goes pitch black and you can move the mouse cursor, but nothing will happen game just freezes there. I although thought I can navigate through darkness with my mouse cursor like I did in the Act 1 of the game (basements, houses, etc) didn’t work though.

1 Like

Heartening that I’m not alone. The full gist of it posted elsewhere:

"Hit a bug that is stopping me from advancing on Mac OS 10.15.5

When I enter the Command Tent to speak with the queen at the start of the second act, the screen goes black except for the cursor and flips between the cursor and the loading symbol for about 20 seconds. The screen stays black except the cursor but the area seems to load under this. Hovering the cursor over interactables changes it appropriately, and buttons work but it is impossible to see anything. The screen remains black even if I fumble my memory back to the main menu. Leaving the game entirely, things are normal when I get back to desktop.

If I quicksave there the thumbnail is black and loading into it it does the same thing. The loading bar goes from 100%->99%->100% a few times, end result is the same.

The Field Medic Tent does the same thing.

On lowest graphics settings still does it.

Can’t advance the plot so hoping for a workaround or fix if anyone has run into this before. "

3 Likes

Well, the only thing we can do now is wait
Come and wait with me patiently boys and girls
pic_c68a6b76fc08e7a072094aa7342242b2

4 Likes

Same problem for me.

I’m stuck in the Commander Tent, too. There were some dark rooms before, but you could switch on the light somehow. But here is end of story for me…

MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)
1,8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
MacOS 11.5.2

Exactly the same issue as me.

13" 2017 Macbook Pro
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

Same problem 2015 (I think?) mbp updated to latest iOS

Also I don’t know if anyone else feels the same, but if devs come across this, it occurs to me that making steam cloud saves work would at least let us try third party stuff like geforce now to see if our game saves can be circumvented/passed on a windows computer and then continued on mbp. I’m not sure if this might break saves even more or anything but just an idea.

Does anyone else think this has something to do with the Intel GPU loading problem mentioned in the September 10th patchnotes?

I get similar issue at the beginning of second act, screen turned pitch black when I try to enter commander’s tent

1 Like

I think the most frustrating part is that owlcat hasn’t responded to anyone as far as I can tell regarding this bug. It’s completely game breaking I haven’t been able to play for almost a week now because it’s impossible to progress past the begging of chapter 2. I understand it’s probably a complicated issue to fix and I’m totally fine with waiting, I just wish there was some sort of response or recognition that the issue is being fixed/looked into

5 Likes