Let's get Kitsune race in Pathfinder + Favorite racial archetype poll

I want to tell you about Kitsune and why they are worth voting for them.

A bit about Kitsune themselves
Kitsune, or fox folk, are vulpine shapeshifters known for their love of both trickery and art. Kitsune possess two forms: that of an attractive human of slender build with salient eyes, and their true form of an anthropomorphic fox. Despite an irrepressible penchant for deception, kitsune prize loyalty and make true companions. They delight in the arts, particularly riddles and storytelling, and settle in ancestral clans, taking their wisdom from both the living and spirits.
Kitsune society is enigmatic, as kitsune prize loyalty among their friends but delight in good-natured mischief and trickery. Kitsune take pleasure in the pursuit of creative arts and in all forms of competition, especially the telling of stories interwoven with tall tales and falsehoods.
Kitsune hawe 5 subraces: Earthkin (Standard Kitsune), Firekin (Desert Kitsune), Voidkin (Aberrant Kitsune), Waterkin (Arctic Kitsune) and Windkin (Steppe Kitsune).

How kitsune could end up in Mendev
Kitsune hail primarily from Tian Xia, which is very far from Mendev. But don’t forget they have a predisposition to seek glory to make a name for themselves. Keenly interested in adding their own names to the myths and legends of explorers and heroes of old, Kitsune adventurers range across the world. And how, of course, the war with the army of demons could not attract the attention of the seekers of glory.

Mechanics

Racial Traits
Kitsune are humanoids with the kitsune and shapechanger subtypes. They are agile and companionable, but tend to be physically weak. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, and -2 Strength.
Сonsidering the fact that Kitsune Medium creatures they have no bonuses or penalties due to their size and have a base speed of 30 feet. Kitsune receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks.
Besides Kitsune can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.

Magical Racial Traits
A kitsune can assume the appearance of a specific single human form of the same sex. The kitsune always takes this specific form when she uses this ability. A kitsune in human form cannot use her bite attack, but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the kitsune does not adjust her ability scores and can remain in this form indefinitely. I think Owlcat developers can easily implement this ability in the game. Moreover, one of the developers mentioned that they will think about how Kitsune will look in human form.
In addition, Kitsune add +1 to the DC of any saving throws against enchantment spells that they cast. Kitsune with a Charisma score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like ability: 3/day—dancing lights.

Class Options
Kitsune can become great fĐ°ighters, rogues, cavaliers, bards, arcanists, brawlers, druids, oracles mesmerists, shamans, sorcerers.
For Kitsune available two racial archetypes:
Kitsune Trickster (Rogue) - The kitsune trickster combines His/Her sharpened wit with minor arcane powers of charm and persuasion. He/She uses her talents to spin convincing lies, riddles, and stories.
Nine Tailed Heir (Sorcerer) - Stories often tell of kitsune with multiple tails, but not many realize that fewer than one kitsune in every thousand has this potential, and those that do usually have a magical quirk in their blood or have been blessed by their race’s deific matron. As a result, most that harness the mystic powers of their newfound tails often gain sorcerous powers, becoming nine-tailed heirs.

Aesthetic side of foxes
Of all the creatures inhabiting the planet, foxes have been endowed with human characteristics, represented prolifically, and honored in multiple and mysterious ways. Thus they’ve been for thousands of years. They’re also the purveyors of a powerful and seductive mythology.
It was long believed that seeing a fox was a sign of the world of the dead. Nearly all cultures have endowed these beautiful animal with magical powers and unmatched intelligence. Sometimes foxes are masters bearing great wisdom. At other times they are touched by evil beings, thanks especially to their ability to deceive.

Just look at these eyes, how can you tell them no.

They are simply charming and majestic…
Fox-head-stuck-snow-551446
…and mischievous.

And here are the pictures of Kitsune themselves (also known as Fox folk)

250px-Kitsune

Which racial archetype of Kitsune do you like more?
Out of curiosity, which racial archetype of Kitsune do you like more and optionally, why? Kitsune Trickster or Nine Tailed Heir. As a person who loves mythology, I should probably choose Nine Tailed Heir, but as someone who loves to play Rogue in RPGs, I like Kitsune Trickster more.

• Kitsune Trickster
  • Nine Tailed Heir

0 voters

37 Likes

So that’s how is Nine Tailed Heirit looks like. In any case, from now on I want to see this race even more in Pathfinder

7 Likes

Cool. I hope this affects the vote. Kamigoroshi do not go into this thread you have your own. We have our own. everything is fair. Go Foxy Go, Go Foxy Go!

4 Likes

Wow, that looks positive. Even before that I wanted to vote for Kitsune, but the realization that we now have the appropriate thread warms my heart

5 Likes

That’s pretty decent. I hope we will win. For the majestyk foxes!

2 Likes

At least now we have a decent presentation. Past thread caused a feeling of despair. :smirk: No offense, @RickDodger.

1 Like

Very nice write up of Kitsune.

Wonder how the multi tails idea would be implemented.

2 Likes

Perhaps, as in the case of the Dragon Disciple, only tails instead of wings…

Very nice. I’m thinking of voting for Ratfolk simply because I think Owlcat can implement it better, but I certainly hope that we get the Kitsune at least as addon.

1 Like

Hey, great thread and so glad to see one focusing on some more positive aspects! I even have to admit, the prospect of playing a Kitsune Rogue (maybe into Arcane Trickster) then following the Trickster or maybe Azata mythic path would be pretty cool!

1 Like

Thanks @Nargemn. You in some way inspired me when you pointed out all the negativity that was happening in the previous thread.

After these words, I can’t get rid of the idea of ​​making a kitsune lich.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, a Kitsune Lich sounds kinda metal.

3 Likes

Foxes are cute and clever. :fox_face: :heart:
Why would anyone want something else?

1 Like

A couple of my favorite things about Kitsune are a couple of their racial traits/feats. One of Kitsune’s feats AND traits is to be able to change into a normal fox at will, similar to their human shapechange ability, with the +10 disguise check to appear like a fox and you being able to stay in either form indefinitely. And another of Kitsune’s feats allow you to change into any human you’ve seen before at will. Honestly, I think the latter of these will get a hard pass from Owlcat (afterall, programming reactions of every character in the game for you being every character in the game sounds basically impossible), but the idea of turning into a normal fox at will alone is still too great of a prospect to pass up~

2 Likes

2 Likes

Nine-Tailed Kitsune Lich with Draconic Bloodline. Sounds quite intimidating.

1 Like

I think they will leave the opportunity to change into human form, but without the possibility of becoming someone specific. I don’t know about the feral form, but in general, nothing prevents them from making this a racial ability exclusively for shape shifting in battle.

Actually that is one of my worries about implementing Kitsunes: just coding the changing into human form requires quite a large amount of effort. It would require that every character would treat you differently (how would they recognize you in human form?) and since you probably want to customize your human forms appearance too instead of it being something generic, it would require adding another character generator to the start. I’m just not sure if Owlcat is going to see that much effort for one race.

Actually adding a 2nd character appearance dialogue won’t be much effort. It will just be running the appearance dialogue a 2nd time with a human as it’s base race. It will be the NPC dialogue that will be more challenging to do.