How do you run your PNP games?

The title says it all, I’m just curious to see how other people play the tabletop version of Pathfinder.
I mix a little bit of technology with old fashioned methods, so that I, the GM, use the PC for combat management via Combat Manager, which takes care of all dice rolling of monsters, xp handling, and much more, and use two instances of maptool on which I prepare the maps for the encounters, and the use also for showing images to the pcs. These guys on the other hand have only pen and paper at their disposal. Well, the more tech savvy of them also use an app for the tracking of spells.

The game I run usually aren’t that advanced technologically, but we do have some electronics.

For me as the GM, my tablet with Bestiary PDF’s is invalueable. I have the stats, and can show the players pretty pictures of the things they encounter.
Besides that, I sometimes have my phone play background or combat noise (Syrinscape-App), or just some music, on a bluetooth-speaker.

Our dice are real, the minis are a mix of prepainted plastic and cardboard pawns for players and monsters, the maps are either hand-drawn, flip-maps or zoomed and printed maps from the adventure.

Some players have spellbook-apps on their mobiles, some use spell-cards, some use their character-sheet.

Uh right, for the music I use a combination of youtube/atmospheric websites :slight_smile: Sometimes I like to record myself or some of my non-PC friends and then modify their voice with audacity to play some lines of the major NPCs. For instance I recorded myself as the archon of Sarenrae delivering one of my pcs the news that she is indeed the son of said goddes :slight_smile:

Ahhh yes. Wrath of the Righteous. I’m GMing a group that should finish that AP up tomorrow.

I am a very new GM. Wrath was my first real attempt. It has been a heckuva learning experience.

I don’t use XP. I just tell the PCs to level up where the book says to. By ditching XP I can ditch random encounters which are essentially time wasters that don’t add to the story.

I spent the first couple of book of Wrath pretty much running it straight as written. Now, that we are about to finish book 6 I have switched to a more cinematic style. Meaning I don’t draw out the whole “dungeon” ahead of time. I simply use that map when necessary. A “room” at a time.

I tend to be somewhat rules loose. I don’t see stats on a monster’s stat block as static. I change what I need to. With no regard to following monster building rules. With mythic in Wrath, I gave every monster that was mythic the ability to buy off PC crits. Lowered ACs if I needed to if AC was almost out of reach for PCs. This combined with greatly increasing hit points makes for a good fight.

I’m mainly drawing inspiration as a Pathfinder GM from my best experiences as a player in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer system as well as Fantasy Flight’s Star Wars RPG system. Both are very cinematic.

I love FF’s Star Wars system. It’s a great blend of story-driven cinematic with some light crunch.

Bob Dylan

Unfabulous
Brandon Johnson
Feed The Beast

The Girl from the Song 2017 720p BluRay x264-RUSTED[EtHD]

The Originals 2013
??? ??? The.Hunters.Praye…

American Gothic (2016)

NaughtyAmerica MyFriendsHotMom Julia Ann NEW May 18 2017
Veronica Mars
Sarbjit (2016) HD

Ugly Alert

Saadey CM Saab
Do No Harm
???.2016.???CMCT??
teamskeet
David Brent: Life on the Road

Download

Trapped – Gefangen in Island
Kaijuu Girls: Ultra Kaijuu Gijinka Keikaku

Spam-bot destroyed. Sorry for the random garbage posts and thanks for reporting. Carry on! :heart:

What CR was it? Did you level up? :slight_smile:

As player I do have PDF version from book and character sheet. I allso have (most of) them in paper version.
Dice, pen, paper and so on yes, have them all.
Lately I have bought laptop so not anymore “pure” P&P player like used to since mid 80’s.

As GM I use bit more computer, print stuff, have many PDF materials, make most of my own writing in PC (word of even notepad, depend usage). Winamp is great for music (Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Conan Barbarian, Witcher and other music without too much singing).

I can just show players for example monster they encounter using monitor (or TV)

For player or even GM rules are not so important but story, players are free to try out something they want to but naturally (even they do have hero points in use) they can not bend rules of logic or world we are using (just because you want to have wings and fly, so you decide to use heropoint and jump from cliff do not mean you get wings. But becouse you used heropoint you might live becouse there is river under…)

Real dice, miniatures and cardboard pawns, sometimes even the music comes from a cd (the Realms of Arkania games have some really nice music. There’s just so much awesome, atmospheric stuff there!) and Hero Lab to keep character sheets up to date, though that’s really more of an in between sessions thing. For maps, I like to use some ancient relic known as the Diablo 2 board game. It’s just so nice and modular and you can piece together entire dungeons if you so desire. Behold!

Mind you, we don’t use those little round cardboard monsters shown on the picture, because bleh.

I run two games (on alternating weeks) one is an online Rise of the Runelords game using IRC and Roll20. I use Roll20 tokens and links to show players what they’re fighting, or even seeing if there’s a picture of the scenery in the AP book (and if there’s not I try and find a RL picture that fits). Ocassionally I’ll post a Youtube video for music, but that rarely happens more than once a session, usually for increasingly inappropriate battle music, like It’s not Easy being Green.

The second game is a RL Hell’s Rebels game where one of my players made this for me to use::

It’s an old Flat Screen TV they re-purposed and built a Table around (you can see a whole gallery about how he made it here). It’s covered with a thin sheet of plastic to protect the screen, and has in-built speakers and 4 outlets at each corner, along with 2 HDMI ports (you know, just in case). It’s also amazing.

I use the Table as a second screen putting up the PDFs Paizo gives Adventure Path Subscribers in full screen mode. The nice thing is that for some reason, Paizo allows you to switch them from GM mode to Player mode, so the players can’t see the secret entrances, and the sheet of plastic above the screen works as a dry erase marker board so I can mark out traps, Secret entrances, and spell effects as I wish. I am absolutely convinced that this is the perfect setup.

And whenever the Paladin uses Lay on Hands as a Swift action to heal himself, I can cue up that old Divinyls song and it comes out the TV speakers.

We use a combination of pre-painted mini’s from Pathfinder and D&D minis as well as custom figurines for PC’s from Heroforge

I personally also like little fancy things like Dice Vaults and Box of Holding. I also collect fun dice including most of the pathfinder line of dice from Q-workshop as well as Shapeways to print custom dice when I want a particular set.

We tend to use Paizo flip mats and Lazzaretti when we can find his maps for sale. Otherwise we print up the maps from the PDF and then use a plotter to create a full size map. If I can’t access a plotter I use Posterazor to print up and tape together the maps.

I use Hero Lab when I’m a player and RPG Books when I GM, both on the iPad.

I tend to wait until an entire AP is out so I have access to all the books before I run, then pick up as many supplementary books to ensure that I have a full view of the region of the world it takes place in. When I’m in the players seat I do the same with supplements and try to write up a two page minimum back story.

This is what I’ll do when I have money.
And a house.
And my priorities set straight.

Yeah. I’m super pleased with how it turned out. It’s their table, but they built it for me to use. And also as a cat toy (apparently cats chase mouse cursors too).

Currently, I only have an online game (Curse of the Crimson Throne). We use Skype for voice chat, google docs maps (you can copy and paste most of the maps from the PDFs), and a website called Rolz for dice rolling. It can be kind of clunky at times, but it works for us.

The most we use, since we rotate gms, is hero lab. Everything else me and the other gms/players use depends on the game we are playing. We have one Gm who runs our Masquarade game and uses his notebook for pictures and things, but otherwise its purely about story and what you think it looks like. We are about as low tech as you can get now-a-days, which i like. Even though I do want to get one of those nice tv in table things for the maps.

I recommend it highly. The whole thing was actually pretty cheap to build since the TV was being sold at a stoop sale.

I mostly use the AP specific cut-outs and stands for my minis. But, I use a few Reaper Bones and Whizkids minis, mostly as place holders here and there. My players all custom designed their minis from some sort of online 3D printing service, which is cool, but impractical for me as a GM cost-wise.

I personally also like little fancy things like Dice Vaults and Box of Holding. I also collect fun dice including most of the pathfinder line of dice from Q-workshop as well as Shapeways to print custom dice when I want a particular set.

I personally collect dice (especially metal and stone dice) and have a Third Die Dice Bag to keep them in. Beyond that (and my GM Screen) the only really neat special thing I have is that I backed this on Kickstarter. It hasn’t arrived yet, but it’s a cool idea.

We tend to use Paizo flip mats and Lazzaretti when we can find his maps for sale.

I used to use a Blank Flip Map and then later on an Extra Large Flip Map before my players built the Table. I’m convinced that the reason the table was created was so that they wouldn’t have to draw any more maps on the flip mat. Everyone won in this that exchange. I won like, 37 times, and they one once or twice, but still, everyone won!

I tend to wait until an entire AP is out so I have access to all the books before I run, then pick up as many supplementary books to ensure that I have a full view of the region of the world it takes place in. When I’m in the players seat I do the same with supplements and try to write up a two page minimum back story.

I also wait until an entire AP is out (thank’s to Serpents’ Skull) but I won’t go out specifically and buy supplemental books if I don’t already have them. If I don’t know something about the region, I’ll make it up; which is why the main entertainment in Kintargo after Opera is flaming sword juggling and the standard load-out for duels of honor is Warhammers filled with gun-powder at dawn. Also, there are dinosaurs in the forest. They’re an Invasive species from Garund (usually brought over in the form of released pets from wealthy tourists who should know better), and periodically the city organizes Dinosaur hunts to keep the population down. Now I know that technically it’s incredibly unlikely that any of those are canonically true about Cheliax, but I’m not going to buy a $20 book that will just shatter my dreams.

Roll20.net lol

Totally going to have to steal this.