GOG version of game crashing every 5-10 minutes - Unity 2018.4.10f1_a0470569e97b

Platform: PC - GOG Version

Do you have any mods? No Mods

Please explain the issue is in as much detail as possible:

I just bought the game off GOG and I can’t play more than 10 minutes without it crashing. sometimes it freezes my computer, sometimes it crashes to desktop with no error message at all, but it mostly displays the ‘Unity 2018.4.10f1_a0470569e97b’ message. I have done every troubleshoot recommendation that I’ve found online and nothing has worked.

check your anti-virus / firewall and add the game to the exception list

I wouldn’t disable my firewall for any reason, my games have thus far worked with them active.

But I am missing a lot of details in the description:

• What windows version do you use? Remember that Win7 is no longer supported.
  • What kind of computer are we talking about? A laptop from 2010 or a high-end PC? What kind of graphics card do you have? What is your RAM? In short, do you fulfill the minimum requirements listed?
  • What other software do you run at the same time? If nothing complex, forget the question…but some people use their computer for bitcoining and expect it to perform at 100%.
  • Have you tried to run the game as an administrator?

There was someone who had a similar problem with Kingmaker (his machine fulfilled all specs). He cleaned his PC from various old and temporary files and returned his system overclock to base speed. Afterwards he could play again, but he is not sure which of the two actions did it.

So here are my PC specs:

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i5-9600k CPU
16 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

I’m not running anything complex while trying to play the game. So far here is what I’ve tried that I can remember off the top of my head:

Running as administrator / updating graphics card drivers / changing compatibility mode / disabling cloud saves / uninstalling and reinstalling the game / adding kingmaker as an exception to AVG antivirus / turning AVG completely off / switching between fullscreen and borderless windowed modes / running CCleaner to remove clutter / changing the refresh rate on my monitor / reinstalling microsoft visual C++. I’ve basically tried every idea that can be found online and haven’t had any luck.

Except for the CPU (it is better than the minimum, though) you meet the recommended requirements, assuming your disc isn’t full. Looks like a rare problem, since I found so few posts about it. Which is bad, because the fewer people have a problem, the harder it is to find a solution.
If it is a problem with the GoG version, you can maybe find help over there. I understand they have a game installer named Galaxy (or something like that). You can try using that one, or install it without the installer if you did that before. Grasping at straws, but I have no better idea :frowning:

Regular crashes within 5-10 minutes are generally caused by a conflict between one of your background processes/apps and the Unity engine. Such users nearly always report having great system specs and little-to-no problems running non-Unity programs, not realizing that information isn’t relevant to this type of issue.

Unfortunately there is no comprehensive list of which processes/apps trigger Unity conflicts, so there is no online guide to tell you precisely what to disable nor is there a way for you to demonstrate you have disabled everything that might be connected. However, AVG seems to be a common cause so as a first step you might consider uninstalling it entirely just to make sure you’re truly turned it “completely off”. Good luck!

I think AVG might have been the culprit. I uninstalled it and I haven’t had a crash yet. Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Hello. I have the same problem. I don’t have any mods running and have tried to uninstall my virus scanner, but it didn’t help. Otherwise, I’ve already gone through all of the troubleshooting suggestions that I found online.
The only difference is that I have the Steam version and not the GoG version

My Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Intel® Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
16 GB of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

You successfully uninstalled AVG or you tried to uninstall it? To see which, go to your list of apps (in settings) and verify you don’t see AVG anywhere. Note that even if you normally use something else as your go-to virus checker, you may have an OEM installation of AVG that you’d need to uninstall.

I successfully uninstalled everything. It is no longer displayed in the app list. I am 100% sure that it is no longer installed on my computer.

I’m having the same Unity crash error as OP… Bought the game two weeks ago and the game constantly crashes anywhere from 5 minutes to 1hr after launching. I have zero mods, no firewall, no problems like this with any other game in my library… Can we please get a response from the Dev Team on whether or not these kind of game breaking bugs are being addressed at all? I have tried everything under the sun (including removing OCs on hardware) to fix with no luck at all.

My Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Intel® Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz ~ 5GHz
32 GB of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER