Crash on game exit, forced to quit through taskmanager

Game crashes on exit every single time, It doesn’t matter if I exit through the main menu or directly exit. The game crashes and I’m forced to quit through task manager. My OS is Win64 Home.
Already verified integrity of game files on Steam and the issue still persists.

What is the graphic setting Display mode set to? Exclusive fullscreen or borderless window??

Exclusive Fullscreen

Exclusive fullscreen is a bugged setting and it’s most likely the culprit. Change it for borderless window and let me know if it work.

1 Like

I have been fighting this freezing issue all night. Borderless window got me further than either of the other two settings, but now even it isn’t working. My interface, if it loads at all, does not respond to any mouse or key entry other than system commands like Ctrl-Alt-Del. I have no mods running and everything worked fine only 12 hrs ago using the same settings that now freeze. Have uninstalled/reinstalled, have verified each time, says no issues. But yet it freezes.

Usually on the splash screen after the load bar goes away and before the main menu comes into view.

Check if you can update your graphic card driver and restart your computer.

Have you notice anything odd? Like a Windows update for example.

Two Windows updates installed 9/9, same date as the last P:K update (9/9). Note that I played 9/9-12 with no issues. Issues began on 9/13.

2020-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4576484)
2020-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x640based Systems (KB4574727)
Possibly related update:
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v. 5.83 (KB2267602 (Version 1.319.325.0) installed 9/9/2020

Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, last driver update 1/2/2020, version 26.21.14.4193. Ran Driver update and it says “The best drivers for your device are already installed.”
Windows says this was last installed on 05/31/2020.

There is a newer update, 8/17/2020, but it’s a “game ready update” for games I don’t have: “This new Game Ready Driver provides the latest performance optimizations, profiles, and bug fixes for Microsoft Flight Simulator. In addition, this release also provides optimal support for World of Warcraft: Shadowlands pre-patch on the public test realm as well as for A Total War Saga: TROY and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2.”

Computer has been restarted repeatedly throughout the process. When I edited the registry, I restarted. And no, I hadn’t noticed anything odd in the days preceding the error. Played just fine up to about 5:30 am Pacific time on Sunday 9/13. Then nothing but start/load issues after that. Played a Fantasy Grounds in Steam session on Saturday night from 5pm to just after midnight, no issues there. Played P:K both before and after that session, no issues.

Literally nothing has changed on my system between when I last played without errors to the mess of errors reported here.

Try to run the game as Administrator.

The issues firewall / anti-virus blocking part of Unity is generally different then what you are experiencing but that could explain why the game work one day and not the other, especially since the PC version is being updated regularly.

Am running as Admin. Only user on my PC.
My husband also plays, played without issues yesterday. So I think that rules out our ISP/hub/etc.
Only firewall/AV I have would be the built-in one on our hub and Windows Defender. Would I need to set up a whitelist for Unity in Defender? (And why would this be different from another Windows 10 box on the same network using the same firewall/AV?)

Sadly i’m not a expert i cannot answer you on that :frowning:

I just know the basic…

Appreciate your efforts. Will keep plugging away trying things.

1 Like

So, bashing away at the regedit screen resolution question, I discovered there’s two sets of instructions in the regedit that appear to do the same exact thing:
the first is this block:
Kingmaker.FullscreenMode_h669457580
Kingmaker.ScreenHeight_h994097571
Kingmaker.ScreenWidth_h672145178
For readability, I swapped these to display Binary, and the latter two read 1080 and 1920.

The second set are:
Screenmanager Fullscreen mode_h3630240806
Screenmanager Resolution Height_h2627697771
Screenmanager Resolution Use Native_h1405027254
Screenmanager Resolution Width_h182942802

Use Native currently set to 1, which is how I found it.
Height and Width match the other.
But could a mismatch between the Fullscreen mode lines here lead to grief? And why are there apparently two different sets of instructions for what appears to be the same thing?