Any chance to get Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea or other retroclone adapted into a CRPG?

I sadly never got the chance to play it in table, so I’m hoping that some day some dev will adapt it. The 3rd edition of Hyperborea got US$172k in KS.

Thematically, the game is very “Conanesque”

The game has the following subclasses.

Fighter subclasses :

• Barbarian
  • Berserker
  • Cataphract
  • Huntsman
  • Paladin
  • Ranger
  • Warlock

Cleric :

• Druid
  • Monk
  • Priest
  • Runegraver
  • Shaman

Thief:

• Assassin
  • Bard
  • Legerdemainist
  • Purloiner
  • Scout

Magic user :

• Pyromancer
  • Cryomancer
  • Necromancer
  • Illusionist
  • Witch

The level cap of the game is 12. The world is much less magical than Golarion. You can see greater daemons with CR = 8 in the game.

2 Likes

Never heard of this one before. So many interesting PnP settings out there. :slight_smile:

I for my part would love to see a Trudvang Chronicles cRPG adaption at some point. Though it is anyone’s guess when and if dev teams get a chance to tackle such “lesser known” systems in years to come. Needless to say it is more risky to go with unknown systems than well established ones. Since it’s far more difficult to gauge the interest in such computer game adaptions.

Still, I’ll be backing such kickstarter campaigns if I ever see them popping up.

1 Like

Yep. retroclones has way less brand recognition than Pathfinder or D&D. Hence less developers are interesting in licencing that product.

1 Like

It goes both ways. If a system is more known, then chances are high they do more stuff about it even making new games after several years (look at Baldurs gate). But if noone is interested community will for the most part never know it exists

BG3 I honestly din’t liked cuz :

• Is 5E
  • Is extremely low level and at the same time epic, lv 4 chars in underdark, lv 3 archdruids…
  • Larian picked a ruleset where monsters already has ridiculous high hp and bloated it
  • The turn based combat I like but the animations are too slow
  • Seems like has single summon limit as you can’t have a familiar + a mage hand.

Larian is the typical developer who hates fun…

We haven’t gotten a Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye CRPG in years and that is a system most RP people have at least heard of. Hell, the last decade had only one official DND CRPG released at all.

And you are asking about even less famous systems. :owlcat_angry:

Though my dream project for Owlcat would be a modern Silent Storm :heart_eyes:

Well, the game is very similar to D&D 2E.